Monday, November 30, 2015

Sight Words on Display

Each year presents new challenges, right?  Well, this year my challenge has been sight words.  In the past, the majority of my students have picked them up fairly well.  This year it seemed like they were getting off to a rough start.  So my brain started thinking and searching for something to do to help them learn them.  I tried every trick, worksheet, chant, etc. that I could think of.

My problem with Reading Street is that they introduce the sight words on Tuesday (look at them, say them, use them on a workbook page), review them on Wednesday and Thursday (with a quick workbook page), and bam.  Tested Friday.  I always thought that was insane to expect them to learn them with such little involvement and engagement with the words.  Sure, they're in the story and maybe a decodable reader, but really?  I use Jessica Tobin's sight word notebooks, my own Say It, Write It, Find It booklets, and post the words up on my word wall and focus wall.  The ones who "get" sight words got them just fine with these couple of supplements.  But for my strugglers, it just still wasn't connecting for them.

One day I got desperate and made a comment, "It's like I have to walk around with a Post-It note on my forehead with a sight word on it so they can stare at it all day!"  Stop.  What?  My brain started going crazy about how that might not be such a bad idea.  I started thinking of all the ways I could literally make them stare at the words at every possible moment during the day.  This is about as close to "in-your-face" as it gets!

I whipped up these little Sight Words Badges and wear one every. single. day.  My students love it!  They can no longer call me Mrs. Kirby.  They call me Mrs. Whatever-Badge-Is-On-My-Shirt.  I can't even tell you the excitement they have walking in the door to see what my new name is.


I printed them all out and laminated them.  I keep them in this cute little tin from Target so they are easy to find and grab.  I found the badge holders at Wal-Mart in the office supply section.  They fit perfectly into the plastic sleeves!




I have to warn you...you *might* get some looks, stares, and giggles from fellow co-workers when you forget to take off your name badge.  Or they might just start jumping in on the game and calling you by your sight word.  This may or may not happen to me... ;)

Another way I found to help my students retain their sight words is by labeling their tables by words. I used to call them, "Table 1, Table 2, Table 3, etc."  I've even done letters, animals, colors, etc.  But labeling them by sight word is JUST as exciting to them, plus their table name changes every week (although I may start moving them around each day, just for more exposure to each word).


I simply put their sight words on a piece of paper, folded it in half so that each side has the word on it, and stuck it to their tables.  SUPER easy to put together and to display!  They're seriously so easy to change out.  I also printed them on colored paper so that they pop a little more.


You could hang these from the ceiling or simply fold them into little table tents that stand alone on tables.  Our fire marshall prohibits us from hanging anything from the ceiling (boo!  hiss!), so I had to get a little creative with how to label my tables.  I found these fun, sparkly clothespins at Hobby Lobby.  I got some short wooden dowel rods and some half-sphere styrofoam pieces.



I simply glued the clothespin to one end, stuck the other end in the styrofoam, and then stuck the whole thing down in their table caddies.  Voila!  The kids don't mess with them because they had a ginormous warning from me.  ;)





To save myself some time (and maybe you, too), I've put both the Sight Word Badges and Sight Word Table Signs into a file that's easy to print and store.  It includes sight words from 1st Grade Reading Street, 2nd Grade Reading Street, and all of the Dolch words.  With the TPT sale right now, it's even on sale!  ;)


One more way that I found that helps my students with their sight words is by writing them on the wall with a chalk marker!  I write the words on the wall by the door each week.  We read them as we leave the room and as we wait by the door.  I'm constantly reviewing the words with my students because they are right there.  




Bottom line?  Make sure your weekly sight words are EVERYWHERE and in plain sight!  I have noticed a remarkable difference in my students' sight word retention.  Plus, it's all so fun!

4 comments:

  1. Great ideas! Thank you, I will be wearing a different name badge tomorrow!!!
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. **HOW TO HIRE A HACKER.**

      Hiring a hacker could be one of the hardest things to find on the internet, as hackers prefer to stay hidden and work behind the scene cause of the nature of their job, it is illegal in almost every country to hack people and for this reason hackers rather stay in the dark.

      **WHAT ARE THE SERVICES YOU CAN GET DROM A HACKER?**

      Hackers can provide various kind of services that includes-:
      Phone hack📲📱
      Computer/laptop hack💻
      Emails hack📧
      Social media account hack (including Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat e.t.c)💬
      Data base accessing 📂📁
      Deleted files and data recovery and lots more.🗂️🗃️
      Stealing/Copying Files & Documents From Restricted Networks and Servers ✅
      ▪️Credit Score Manipulation ✅
      ▪️ Deleting Criminal Records✅
      ▪️Bitcoin Multiplication✅
      ▪️Crypto Scam Money Recovery ✅

      Hackers are very hard to find, while most are found on the dark web some prefer to work in the open as not many people can get to the dark web.

      **If you looking to hire a hacker, I highly would recommend the services of PYTHONAX. This are a group who have been known to work in the open yet stay undetected from authorities.**

      Another Amazing thing you benefit from using PYTHONAX SERVICES is that you get a Legit and the best Hacking service, As we provide you with Professional Hackers who have their Hacking Areas of specialization. They perform every Hacking services there is, using special Hacking tools they get from the dark web.

      ✳️ SPECIAL HACKING SERVICES-: They also specialize in Scam Bounty, as they can help you chase down SCAMMERS and help individuals RECOVER Money stolen from them by this online SCAMMERS. Please be watchful about this SCAMMERS. They post ❌ENTICING TESTIMONIES and it quite Convincing.

      Contact-: pythonaxservices@gmail.com
      pythonaxhacks@gmail.com

      PYTHONAX.
      2022 © All Right Reserved.



      Delete
  2. Great ideas! I will be wearing a different name badge tomorrow!!!
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU GOT SCAMMED⁉️
    HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO‼️

    Contact “PYTHONAX” Immediately ✅✔️ using any of the emails below -:
    Pythonaxservices@gmail.com
    Pythonaxhacks@gmail.com
    Services@pythonax.tech

    Contacting Authorities might be helpful but most times this scam cases are not taking seriously especially if the money lost isn’t as much or people scammed aren’t as many. Most times people feel ashamed to contact authorities.

    WHO OR WHAT IS PYTHONAX⁉️

    PYTHONAX are a group of skilled hackers who use their skills to help individuals who got scammed and defrauded by tracking down the scammers using information provided. The internet today is filled with fake adverts used to scam people of their money and there isn’t really anyway to stop it. The adverts promoting this scams are so convincing and realistic that you really can’t differentiate it from what is legit and what isn’t.

    Some of the common scam that really takes a lot from people are things like-:
    ❌ Crypto & Forex Trading Scam
    ❌ Bank Loan Scam
    ❌ Buying & Purchasing Products Online
    ❌ Dating Scam (Catfishing)
    ❌ Black

    HOW WILL PYTHONAX HELP, YOU MIGHT ASK❓

    We what PYTHONAX basically do is use information you can provide about a scammer, to determine the best strategy to help you get your money back. Everything PYTHONAX do is professional and won’t be traced back to you as they keep their work discreet and clean.

    It doesn’t matter how much you were scammed, doesn’t matter what you were in contact with the scammers for, they will take up your case and will do everything within their disposal to get your money back.

    If you happen to be a victim of scammers and you reading this now, take a deep breath and stay calm, you are getting your money back. You are just an email away.

    Contact Email-:
    Pythonaxservices@gmail.com
    Pythonaxhacks@gmail.com
    Services@pythonax.tech








    PYTHONAX
    Service ©️2024.


    ReplyDelete