Monday, July 21, 2014

The Next Step in Guided Reading - Chapter 6 and a FREEBIE!


This was a loooooonnnnnnggggg chapter!  Considering I teach 1st grade, the majority of my students are not at this level.  Every once in a while I'll get one or two, but a lot of this just went in my memory bank in case I ever switch grade levels, tutor, or move into a different position.  I still really enjoyed reading this chapter!  What did you all think?

1.  What part of the reading caught your attention?  Maybe it's something you never thought about.  Maybe it's something that you've been trying to get a grip on.  Maybe it's something that you've never heard quite they way it was put.

I noticed that with the fluent level, a large majority of the focus is on vocabulary and comprehension.  I knew it would take a hard look at comprehension, but I wasn't expecting the heavy emphasis on vocabulary.  But it makes so much sense!  Vocabulary is always a skill that can be taught, no matter what level a person is on.  Even adults can refine their vocabulary skills!

I was also captured by the VIP strategy.  A lot of my higher readers struggle with identifying the most important parts.  They get so caught up in the details that they miss the bigger picture!  I like the idea of having the small sticky notes on hand so that they can flag it when they read it.

2.  How do you already incorporate this into your guided reading routine?  There's probably at least some part of the chapter that you're already doing!  Tell us about it!

Even though my students aren't this high, we still focus a lot on comprehension.  We will occasionally stop during our reading and check our comprehension.  We also have a chat after reading the book about different aspects of the story.  I typically try to ask a lot of green (literal) and red (inferential) questions.


3.  What is something new you want to try next school year?  How do you want to make your guided reading time better or what new things do you want to try?

I want to try and incorporate more yellow questions when we discuss the book.  Some of my higher groups could totally handle this.  I also love the idea of the reading notebooks for vocabulary recording, comprehension notes, and guided writing.  I probably won't have the opportunity to use this a lot since I teach 1st grade, but I'm glad I read it so that I know what to do in case I have kids at this level!

4.  What are some resources that you ALREADY HAVE that you can use to teach what you read about in this chapter/section?

I have these retelling cubes that I love!  I actually use them with all of my groups.  Retell a Story Cubes

For nonfiction, I just wrote some simple questions on large popsicle sticks and put them in a cup.  The students draw one out and answer the question.


5.  What are some NEW resources that you want to get or try to use to teach what you read about in this chapter/section?

Reading notebooks are the biggest thing I'd want to have on hand during fluent level groups.  Staples has a deal on notebooks for $0.17!  I got 24 for $4 and some change AND free shipping!  You should really snatch them if you think you'll use them!  This is seriously a great deal!



I put together a little freebie for you all today!  Remember those green, yellow, and red questions?  Well, I made a little question card ring for reference during your groups.  You can make one for each student, have one at your guided reading table, or have it on hand for YOURSELF to remember what types of questions to ask!  :)  Click on the following link, photograph, or picture to download!  Enjoy!  :)





See you next week for the LAST chapter of The Next Step in Guided Reading!  Woohoo!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the traffic light questions! So cute!
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog through TpT, searching for a product. I teach just down the road in Olentangy! I taught first grade for years and am now teaching third. Glad to find another Ohio blogger! I am a new follower. :)
    Miss King's Enchanted Kingdom

    ReplyDelete