Thursday, October 11, 2012

What a Sweet Day!

I've had an Ohio State student the past 6 weeks.  It's her first education placement.  Let me tell you what...I can just TELL this girl is going to be a fantastic teacher one day!  She is the sweetest!  Whitney has been SO helpful in the last few weeks.  She's helped me with assessments, helped with some of my challenging students, helped cut out loads of laminated stuff, and just been a delight to have in our room.  The kiddos absolutely loved her.  And I instantly knew that we would get along when she informed me that the season premier of Criminal Minds was a few weeks ago.  Had she not said something, I might've never known.  Thanks to her, I stayed up until 10 last night watching the latest episode.  Special friendship right there, I tell you what!  ;)

She made the most darling little goodie bags for the kids for her last day today.  She took the time to write each kid a PERSONAL note.  I mean, really!?!?!  Once again, I can just tell she'll be amazing.  Not to mention the absolutely heart-warming note she wrote me.  Thank goodness I'm not in that crying "time of the month", otherwise my desk would've been flooded with tears.  Seriously.

Here are the cute Halloween bags she made for the kids.




Time for a group hug!


After she left, one of the kids spotted her walking in the parking lot to her car...this is what happened next:


Now for the sweet gift I got...check it out!  She was telling me all about this book one day and showed it to me.  I wrote it down because it looked awesome and I REALLY wanted to read it.


So to my surprise...


I am so. pumped.  Oh yeah, and there were 2 Cheryl's cookies...I definitely already ate one.

Anyone else ever read this book?  I'm excited to dive in!  I think I need it right now with all the stress of school.  I need to be reminded of why I'm doing what I'm doing.  Some days are so hard, and I've been really struggling this year.  I feel like I'm not good enough and that I will never be good enough.  Now, with that being said, I constantly try to improve myself.  Every year I change things up and try new things.  That will never stop.  It's just not in me to settle and do the same thing day after day.  But to feel like the state or country will never tell me that I'm as good as they can get...that bothers me.  I know that probably sounds really egotistical and selfish.  I don't mean it that way at all.  If there are any other Type-A people out there, you probably understand what I'm trying to say.  You just need to be told you're doing a fantastic job.  For no other reason than to know that what we're doing is making a difference and is appreciated.  I don't want fancy lights and billboards with my name all over it.  At all.  I just want to know that I'm succeeding at what I'm doing and that the kids are getting a quality education when they're with me.  It's not about me.  It's about leaving a mark.  Make sense?

Found this on Pinterest awhile back.  It explains a lot.  :P



Eh, anyways...I just love college students.  :)  They remind you of when you first stepped in the classroom and the journey it took to get to where you are today.  Lord, may we all be reminded...

What do you love about college students and student teachers?

0 comments:

Post a Comment